Re: Versioning and html[5]

Chris Wilson wrote:
> I think we're doing much more than just nibbling away at the current CSS
> behavio(u)r in IE8, and I think it will be a substantial enough release to
> make sense to web developers.

Not wishing to put too fine a point on this, but that's also what was
thought about IE7?

I remember a MIX presentation talked about "major architectural changes"
with regards to overcoming bugs on the "Explorer Exposed" list. And yet,
from a web developer's perspective, IE7 is closer to IE6 than to IE7's
contemporaries. After this experience, I hope you understand my caution.

With regards to HTML5, I take it the opt-in switch would turn on any parts
of HTML5 implemented in the targeted IE version? Changes to scripting,
parsing, the DOM, HTTP and so on?

[new] The "A little background" section in
<http://alistapart.com/articles/beyonddoctype>.
[passes]
<http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2007/12/19/internet-explorer-8-and-acid2-a-milestone.aspx>

--