Re: Versioning and html[5]

Chris Wilson wrote:
> This is the core of our problem - single content that expects different
> behavior from different browsers today.  Many of you are treating this as
> if it doesn't exist, while I expect nearly every single
> web-developer-for-hire in the world has written workaround code at one
> point or another.

...including me. A few CSS tweaks sent via Conditional Comments to "lte IE7"
are a necessary evil on roughly half the sites I work on. Many other folk
use selector hacks for this.

I often use "height: 1%" to trigger hasLayout on things where "width" needs
to remain "auto". I sometimes set "position: relative;" in places where it
isn't strictly needed so graphical list item markers show up. I sometimes
use "float" with "width" in places where the normal flow should suffice. I
always style "a:active" the same as "a:focus" so tabbing around the page
looks sensible in IE.

And so on. I sympathise with how complicated the ecosystem is.

Freezing the rendering until you get it perfect seems a better idea, to me.
Nibbling away at the current CSS behaviour and releasing the progress from
time to time only complicates things further.

But what would I know...I'm just a "web-developer-for-hire"! :-P

--
Ben Millard, sdesign1
<http://sdesign1.com/ben.htm>