Re: Underline element.

From: Patrick Garies <pgaries@fastmail.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 15:36:29 -0600
To: "Philip Taylor (Webmaster)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
CC: public-html@w3.org

Philip Taylor (Webmaster) wrote:
>  Hmmm, I would want to argue against the inclusion of either
>  "firstName" or "surname" on the grounds that their semantics are
>  ill-defined (cultural differences ascribe different semantics);
>  "familyname" and "givenname" I regard as unexceptionable.

I can understand objections to “firstName” (which I didn’t propose, of
course) since name order is language dependent. I don’t know why you
would propose “familyname” instead of “surname” though. According to
http://www.m-w.com/ [1], the term family name is a synonym of the term
surname; the definition of the term surname is “an added name derived
from occupation or other circumstance”, which seems pretty generic to me
[2]. I don’t know which languages/cultures “surname” would be
inapplicable to.

[1] <http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/family%20name>
[2] <http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/surname> (definition 1)

— Patrick Garies