Re: [whatwg] Video codec requirements changed

On 12 Jan 2008, at 15:09, Yann wrote:

> Having at least one codec that MUST be supported by the browser is
> the only
> way to make it possible to publish video content available to all
> platforms.

No, it isn't. It makes the naïve assumption that all browsers will do
what the spec says — if there is a substantial risk involved (in this
case, financial, in terms of patent law-suits) an implementer will
ignore the spec.

> This would make it possible for any web developer to integrate video
> in his
> web page, whatever the platform he is working on, and make it
> possible for
> anybody to read that page, thus enabling full interoperability -
> which this
> is all about, isn't it?

There is no question that we need interoperability (for what point is
there of a spec existing if it isn't implemented?), but it is plainly
clear that Theora does not create this needed interoperability, as not
all implementers will implement it.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>