On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 08:17:56 +0100, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

>> I'm a little confused about the headings and sections in HTML5, in
>> particular creating an outline. [1]
>>
>> What's the outline of <body><h1>foo</h1><h1>bar</h1></body>?
>>
>> I read it like it will be:
>>
>>   root
>>    - <body>: "foo"
>>    - new sectioning element: "bar"
>>
>> Is that correct?
>
> Yes.
>

>> If it is, shouldn't such documents be non-conforming or at least such
>> usage be considered discouraged?
>
> Why?

I had in mind software that normalized documents to use explicit
sectioning elements, since the spec encourages authors to use explicit
sectioning elements:

    Authors are also encouraged to explictly wrap sections in elements of
    sectioning content, instead of relying on the implicit sections
    generated by having multiple heading in one element of sectioning
    content.

...but, since it's not allowed to use multiple <body>s, the case above
can't be normalized to explicit sections without changing the outline.

I don't feel strongly about it, but I think the spec should rather
encourage authors to not let content "slip out of their parent" as in the
case above (because it feels dirty), than to encourage authors to use
explicit sectioning elements (I think implicit sections are fine so long
as they are inside the parent sectioning element).

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software