Re: Feedback on SVGWG's SVG-in-text/html proposal

On Aug 28, 2008, at 05:07, Ian Hickson wrote:

> * Changes to the parser should be relatively small and localised. For
>   example, it should double the number of states in the tokeniser,
> or add
>   half a dozen tree construction insertion modes.

I think there's a "not" missing between "should" and "double".

> (This isn't a "tools will save us" argument because the
>   entire point here is that we're trying to use tools. If we didn't
> have
>   to use tools at all, then we wouldn't need it to be XML.)

A standalone conversion tool for the commented-out SVG-in-text/html
proposal now exists. The HTML2XML sample program that comes with the
Validator.nu HTML Parser converts text/html to application/xhtml+xml
in a way that makes the result friendly for copying and pasting into
an SVG editor. In fact, the result is more friendly arbitrary
application/xhtml+xml content would be. That is, the converter doesn't
hoist the SVG and XLink namespace declarations away to root element.
http://about.validator.nu/htmlparser/

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi