Re: EXIF metadata

Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt 2008-08-28 01.48:
>> I'm aware of what kind of information EXIF data contains. But why does
>> that require a DOM API, as opposed to a user agent specific user
>> interface for accessing the information?  e.g. Through the image
>> properties dialog.
>
> The way I perceived your response, you had two questions: 1) The purpose
> of being able to access to EXIF info at all, and 2) the purpose of a DOM
> API. I only answered the first question.

Yes, but both were raised in the context of the DOM API proposal and the
first question should have implied the second, instead of being treated
as an entirely independent question.  Sorry for not being clearer.

> Do you mean to say that user agents should, without doubt, offer the EXIF
> information?

No, I didn't mean to say that.  Whether or not UAs should provide direct
access to the info is a separate issue, unrelated to HTML5.  I only
raised it as one possible alternative solution to addressing this issue,
instead of providing a DOM API.  But whatever the right solution, it is
dependent on getting clear use cases and problem statements from those
requesting the feature.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/