Re: Is it time for eRDF 1.1?

On Jul 30, 2008, at 19:14, Micah Dubinko wrote:

> ERDF is a community spec for embedding RDF triples in valid HTML or
> XHTML. That is, no additional elements, attributes, or namespaces
> need to be defined.
>
> http://research.talis.com/2005/erdf/wiki/Main/RdfInHtml
>
> With all the activity around RDFa, now an increasingly-implemented
> W3C Candidate Rec, I wonder it if’s time to revisit eRDF and perhaps
> bring it into closer alignment?
>
> http://dubinko.info/blog/2008/07/28/erdf-11-proposal-discussion/
>
> I’m interested in anyone’s thoughts on this.

CCing HTML WG

I think both eRDF and RDFa have the problem they try to make URI-based
extensibility look shorter by adding a layer of indirection--i.e.
complexity--in the process. It seems to me that wanting to use URIs as
identifiers but wanting identifiers to be short is trying to have
one's cake and eat it too, and the result is complexity and brittleness.

The current draft of HTML5 doesn't have the profile and rev
attributes, because they are seldom used, profile is used for things
that the editor of the spec considers bogus and particularly rev is
often used wrong. On the other hand, HTML5 allows URIs in rel, id,
class and name (on meta) attribute values (though it requires rel and
name values to be registered on a wiki).

I think this leads to doing something like eRDF but with full URIs.

Here's a quick HTML5-compatible "eRDF5" trial balloon as a delta spec
to eRDF:

  * Instead of declaring schemas, use full property URIs where eRDF
uses prefixed local names. When consuming, assume that a rel, id,
class or name value that contains a colon is a URI. (Keep prefixing
RDF classes with '-': e.g. class="-http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Document".)

  * Instead of requiring a profile, assume that anything that looks
like eRDF5 is. Consumers simply ignore possible noise triples whose
property URIs they don't recognize. Where this kind of probabilistic
approach isn't considered unambiguous enough, any subtree can be
unambiguously marked as being in the eRDF5 format by adding class='http://purl.org/NET/erdf/profile'
  on the subtree root.

  * Instead of using <meta name="dc.title"> for backwards compat with
the dc.foo scheme, become compatible with native metadata and assume
that HTML5's and HTTP's native metadata maps to Dublin Core assertions
about the current document. <title> becomes http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/title
, <meta name=author> becomes http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/creator,
, the URI that was dereferenced to fetch the document becomes http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/identifier
, the language of the <body> element (computed with inheritance from
root element and HTTP) becomes http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/
language, HTTP Content-Type becomes http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/format
, etc.

  * Reduce the expressiveness of the language by removing the rev
attribute use.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi