Re: testing versus expert opinion

hi maciej,

>Can we please not post out-of-context comments from IRC on the working
group list, with the apparent intent of instigating a flamewar?

My intention was not to instigate a "flamewar" my intention was to further
debate on a legitimate subject. The most inflamatory response of the 2 so
far, is yours.

I see the IRC logs as a legitimate source of material to inform the debate
as are many other public sources and as such will continue to quote them. I
have cited the IRC log so people can go and read more if they desire to
understand more fully the context.

>Being unwilling to ever change your own mind, and picking a fight with
people who change their position to be closer to yours, are both
>unproductive.

I for one am willing to change my mind if research and discussion provide a
basis for such a change. That is why i have started doing research and asked
others in the HTML WG to provide data to continue it.

>More significantly, trying to create a dispute where there is none is
trolling. I will do my best to look past it in this case but please try to
>keep this kind of abusive behavior off the mailing list in the future.

The working group is not agreed upon changing the status of the alt from
required to optional and so in this sense there is a dispute
(disagreement).

And how exactly is asking the question
"Just wondered what testing was done before deciding to make the alt
attribute optional? Or was the decision based solely on expert opinion?"

being abusive? provocative maybe.

--
with regards

Steve Faulkner