Re: [whatwg] <video> element feedback

Shadow2531 schreef:
> Here's just one  example of what Boris is referring to with different
> implementations.
>
> <object classid="clsid:6BF52A52-394A-11D3-B153-00C04F79FAA6"
> type="application/x-mplayer2" data="file.wmv">
>    <param name="URL" value="file.wmv">
>    <param name="AutoStart" value="false">
>    <param name="Volume" value="50%">
> </object>
>
> That classid invokes the Windows Media 7+ ActiveX control.  If FF
> ignores the classid and uses type and data, FF will be using the
> Netscape WMP 6.4 plug-in.
>
> For the 6.4 plugin (which is older than dirt, but all there is
> netscape-wise because MS has abandoned it (and even broken
> compatibility with it in WMP11)), boolean values coming from params
> have to be 1 or 0. True or false are not understood. In this case, the
> video would still autostart.  Also for the 6.4 plug-in, volume is
> different. It doesn't want a percentage, it wants -10000 to 0
> (logarithmic scale).  The 6.4 plugin also doesn't understand URL, it
> wants a filename param. There are also other params that only exist in
> one of the implementations.

The URL parameter (as also seen in e.g. Quicktime and Flash) is imho a
dirty hack to work around implementations not providing plugins with a
streaming file reader object. At least, that is the only explanation I
can come up with. There is a DATA attribute on the object, and that
should be sufficient.

Also, as I see this, it seems that there is not only a need to
standardise on some Javascript methods for <object>s, but also on some
standard <param>eter names and value syntax. That would help a great
deal in streamlining things, especially when <object> is supposed to
‘just work’ and not refer to a specific implementation with the classid
attribute.

> Now, if you want nested objects, IE7 will handle that. If you're
> worried about IE6, we can use downlevel-hidden IE conditional comments
> for that.

Ah, so they fixed it in IE7? That’s very good to hear.

~Grauw