Re: Visible MetaData == "Visible to whom?" was Re: Design Principles

On Mar 29, 2007, at 19:06, T.V Raman wrote:

> A)  The metadata needs to be "visible" to the intended target.
> B0- The metadata needs to be "invisible" to those it's not
> intended for.

The design principle aims to combine those cases when possible and
reasonable. When metadata is rendered to the user under the usual
browsing conditions, errors in the metadata are more likely to be
noticed and fixed. Metadata that is not rendered under the usual
conditions often gets copied as part of a template and is wrong.

> Similarly, multiple link elements in the head element are better
> than turning each into a "human visible" anchor ---
> this allows the browser to fetch the  version best suited to the
> user e.g. language variant, without having to show a large number
> of "human visible" links at the top of the page that take you to
> all the available language versions.

Personally, I prefer to use my human judgment when choosing the
language version. I value accuracy, comprehensiveness and timeliness
over getting the content in my native language, so I try to pick the
version that I believe to be most accurate, comprehensive or up-to-
date depending on what I believe to be the source version from which
the translations are made.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi