Re: HTML WG Face to face meeting call for interest (multi-site/video possibilities)

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 17:00 -0400, Shawn Medero wrote:
> On Mar 21, 2007, at 3:25 PM, Matthew Ratzloff wrote:
>
> > On Wed, March 21, 2007 7:21 am, Shawn Medero wrote:
> >> Looking at the results it seems unfeasible for a majority of the
> >> group to meet face to face (not surprising) but it was worth
> >> measuring. Ian's suggestion for using IRC is the best proposal
> >> I've seen for handling our geographically diverse group.
> >
> > Why not have two meetings, simultaneously? Those that can make it
> > to Paris can meet there, while those that would prefer the US
> > Pacific can meet at Microsoft in Redmond, WA.  We can have a common
> > agenda that we each discuss independently, and then do a short
> > teleconference to try to reconcile our conclusions.
>
> Well in that case let's add a third location for the proposed meeting
> site mentioned in the survey (Cambridge, MA, US) since it is far
> closer to me (Philadelphia, PA, US). :)
>
> I do like the idea of a face-to-face err... face-to-video meeting as
> a kick-off. Is this possible?
>
>  I'm not 100% familiar with W3C
> precedent or the WG charter in this respect.

Well, yes, it's at least theoretically possible, and it's not
without precedent.

The TAG occasionally includes somebody by video.
http://www.w3.org/2003/10/06-tag-summary (TimBL joins by video)
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2004/11/29-30-tag (Stuart joins by video)

I think we had an actual multi-site meeting linked by video one
time, but I can't find photos/records.

It complicates life, both to prepare arrangements and to
actually conduct the meeting. And obviously, the
hallway chat opportunities and socializing and sharing food/drink
stuff can only happen with the people at your site.

But if I get offers to host with video facilities, I'm
willing to consider it.

We're already under the 8-week W3C norm for a meeting in May,
and this is showing up in the survey:

  "would need much more in the way of advance warning"
    -- Edward O'Connor

  "Depends on ... amount of time the exact date is known
   in advance (min. 1 month)"
    -- Eric Bednarz
http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/ftf07/results?view=compact

I'm sorry I didn't get more of the details worked out this
week. I have several more hours in the office today,
but I don't think those in Paris do.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E