Re: Deprecate <acronym>

Dailey, David P. wrote:
> One resource this group should probably be aware of
> is Google's page on "Web Authoring Statistics".

As Google only lists top 19 most used elements, which
doesn't include neither abbr nor acronym, I can provide
the results of my own little survey [1], which shows,
that acronym is a bit more popular than abbr:

   Element    Percentage   Total nr of pages
    name       of pages      in selection
               having it     containing it
! acronym         0.19         1383
   code            0.18         1323
   csimport        0.18         1293
   dir             0.17         1263
   csactionitem    0.17         1202
   legend          0.16         1153
   o:smarttagtype  0.16         1148
   image           0.15         1094
   s               0.15         1086
! abbr            0.14         1045

Of course, they both are quite unpopular and
there's quite a bit of noise in my research at
that level of granularity, but hopefully this
data provides some insight.

Not that I'm in favor of acronym, but the popularity
is certainly one aspect to consider.

Rene Saarsoo

[1] http://triin.net/2006/06/12/Coding_practices_of_web_pages