Re: Preparing to launch the Forms Task Force ...

Laurens Holst wrote:
> Oh, I don’t want to abandon it. <h1>…<h6> should stay exactly the way
> they are. For an outline, that is good enough and always has been good
> enough.

What's the outline of this conformant HTML4 document?:

<h2>Presenting:</h2>
<h1>My Blog!</h1>
<h3>Content</h3>
<h6>A very unimportant heading</h6>
<h4>Sidebar</h4>
<h5>My link</h5>

What's the outline of this <h1>-<h6>+ <section> document that might be created
by a river-of-news style feed reader which dumps the content of each blog post
into a <section>?:

<h1>My News</h1>
<section>
<h2>Joe's Blog</h2>
<section>
<h1>Joe's title</h1>
</section>
</section>

Having tried to implement a document outliner I can say with some conviction
that HTML4 is both badly worded (e.g. what does "important" mean in this
context? Lots of people think important is supposed to be interpreted in the
global context of the page so that headings in sidebars are less important than
headings in context) and woefully underspecified (what are the conformance
requirements for authors? For UAs trying to create an outline?) in this area.