Re: some thoughts on objections to publishing ""HTML 5 differences from HTML 4"

On Jun 29, 2007, at 6:02 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> That seems like way too much attention to a single open issue in
> the spec. I understand that you care deeply about it, but the
> differences document should be mainly about describing the state of
> the spec, not going into extensive detail about open issues. I
> think you should focus your energy on helping with the research and
> analysis to address this area in the spec, not the diffs document.
>
> I leave it to the editor's best judgment wether it's worth
> expanding on the open issues language.

Maciej raises a good point. This push to rush the "differences"
document out the door prematurely is causing us to focus our energies
on stopping that instead of working on finding out what this WG
actually determines the "differences" will be.  We won't know what
those differences will be until we get the reviews in from teh WG
members; the editors have had time to incorporate the ideas from
those review in the draft; and then we've come to some agreement over
those editors responses. This will likely take a few months.  So if
we instead published the design principles document, we'd have a few
moths to get the next publication out the door and fully satisfy the
heartbeat requirement.

Take care,
Rob