Re: some thoughts on objections to publishing ""HTML 5 differences from HTML 4"

On Jun 29, 2007, at 3:16 PM, Steven Faulkner wrote:

>> Do you think there's a need to go into more detail than that?
>
> yes I do, that is why I proposed
>
> in "1.1. Open Issues"
>
> add to current text
>
> "The headers, longdesc and summary attributes."
>

> To make it perfectly clear that the dropping or omission or whatever
> of these attributes is an open issue.
>

> Furthermore I was going to propose in my previous email, (that i sent
> accidently before it was complete.)
>
> That a sentence be inserted in 3.6. Dropped Attributes
>
> "Note: The decision to drop of some of the attributes in this section
> is currently being debated by the working group. As a consequence one
> or more may be allowed in HTML 5"
>
> Again to ensure that the disputed status of headers, longdesc and
> summary attributes is clearly recorded within the document.

That seems like way too much attention to a single open issue in the
spec. I understand that you care deeply about it, but the differences
document should be mainly about describing the state of the spec, not
going into extensive detail about open issues. I think you should
focus your energy on helping with the research and analysis to
address this area in the spec, not the diffs document.

I leave it to the editor's best judgment wether it's worth expanding
on the open issues language.

Regards,
Maciej