Re: How to productively contribute

Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> My original e-mail in this thread was intended to point out the
> futility of these discussions, and to try and encourage a more
> productive, rational, approach.

I found that all of the discussions were not futile but rather a
tremendous aid in trying to understand the rationale and view points
on the headers issue.

The discussions (email and blog posts) were a big aid and a necessary
part of the process (along with all of the research) which informed
the resulting the wiki page [1] that I put together.

Like Rob said,

> If anything the willingness to engage others in conversation and try
> to understand the other viewpoints is a necessary precondition to
> being objective. To state it another way: being blinded by ones
> objectivity would be to imagine that no one else in the conversation
> could possibly provide constructive information to inform one's own
> views.

Could the process be more productive and rational?...Perhaps if the
rationale and justification for removing/adding/changing all elements
and attributes was already detailed in the "HTML 5 differences from
HTML 4" document.

Best Regards,
Laura

[1] http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/IssueTableHeaders