Re: fear of "invisible metadata" [was Re: retention of summary attribute for TABLE element]

James Graham wrote:

> The point it that it's foolhardy to design the language around the
> assumption that all authors will be domain-experts in HTML.

I disagree : what is foolhardy is to design /browsers/ around the
assumption that all authors will be domain-experts in HTML.  The
problem (IMHO) is that the HTML 5 project is setting out to design
both a language (well, a dialect really) /and/ to define browser
behaviour within a single specification.  As a result, it is
frequently unclear whether a suggestion is aimed at the language
definition or at the browser behaviour specification.  Both are
equally important, but tolerance in the latter does not imply
(or require) lack of rigour in the former.

Philip Taylor