Re: Table accessibility (was Re: headers attribute)

>What bothers me about this thread is that so far the cases to test
>lack the most obvious case: A table where the table headers are
>marked up as <th> with no scope='' or headers='' anywhere.

if you look at aurélien's test cases [
http://www.fairytells.net/table_test_case/] there is a simple table with
only th elements

>To me, it seems like a no-brainer that for practical usefulness, a screen
reader should walk tables like this in the absence of explicit >association.
 and indeed certain screen readers such as JAWS and Window Eyes do.
But in cases where multiple levels of headers on multiple axes occur simple
"table walking" will not suffice. The associations need to be explicitly
defined.

>(I tried to test this in VoiceOver, but I couldn't find documentation
>about keyboard commands querying a table cell for its headers.)

Using voiceover as an example of a screen reader is not necessarily a good
idea, as most vision impaired users use JAWS or Window Eyes on a PC and
voiceover support for HTML is rudimentary compared to JAWS and Window Eyes.

--
with regards

Steve Faulkner
Technical Director - TPG Europe