Re: LONGDESC: some current problems and a proposed solution added to the wiki

At 09:43 +0200 UTC, on 2007-07-02, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 20:02:22 +0200, Sander Tekelenburg <st@isoc.nl> wrote:
>> How realistic is it to expect people to use <object>, given that IE
>> breaks interoperability?
>
> Probably slightly more realistic than expecting people to use a new
> element that works nowhere.

Could you be a bit more verbose please? I can think of several things you
might mean, but if I need to guess, I might guess wrong.

> Given the current problems with
> interoperability in browsers I would rather focus on fixing existing
> features such as <object> than having some new type of plugin or image
> construct that does about the same.

If there's any chance that <object> will be made to work interoperably in IE,
sure. There'd still be a transition period during which it would be hard for
authors to cater to pre-HTML5 UAs, but as users upgrade to HTML5 conforming
UAs, authoring will become easier.

--
Sander Tekelenburg