Re: HTML 5 Tutorials and authoring Re: Dissatisfaction with HTML WG

Hi Preston,

Le 27 déc. 2007 à 14:02, Preston L. Bannister a écrit :
> A review of Authoring tools on different platform could also help.
> http://www.w3.org/2007/07/html-authoring-tools/
> [snip]
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_HTML_editors
> Any general information is better dropped into the Wikipedia page.
> Perhaps the W3C page would be better focused to reference Wikipedia
> page for general information.

sure. Feel free to complete the wikipedia page.

> Then again - what question(s) are that page meant to answer?

The page was a personal page where I was starting to jot down notes
with tools I have tried.

* When saving a document for the first time, does the tool proposes
different options with regards to the format. This has consequences on
the way files are served on server when looked locally in the browser
or ftp'ed on a server.
	xhtml doctype -> .xhtml -> application/xhtml+xml
	html doctype  -> .html  -> text/html

* "lang" attribute: Does the software warn users about lang
information when creating a document? Does it support a general
config? etc. Interesting in terms of i18n

* Is the title is set by default or does the software proposes to give
a title?
   title is mandatory in HTML.
   For example, Adobe Golive had by default the title "Bienvenue dans
Adobe Golive versionnumber" in French. Many Web sites have this title
because people just don't know.

* charset - what kind of meta charset information is added to the
files? When I change the encoding of the text, is it changed in the
meta?

* patterns for editing images?
   constraints attached to the edition. Why authoring tools developers
choose one solution over another. etc.

* what kind of html documentation is delivered with the software?
spec? homemade? etc.

* does the tool offer a way to check the syntax? on typing or manual
check?
   does the tool knows when there is a mismatch between doctype and
markup.

* what kind of templates are delivered with the software?

--
Karl Dubost - W3C
http://www.w3.org/QA/