Re: Dissatisfaction with HTML WG

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 04:25:28 +0100, Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>
wrote:
[...]
> I liked chaals' post: sounds like he acts as a mentor for those in
> Opera who contribute here (and in other groups). That's what I want, a
> "chaals" just for us authors.

No, for them I am that far more ignorant and stereotypically balding
species known as "the manager" :)

But I get to answer for what they do so that people at Opera can work on
stuff other than following the HTML group for themselves - such as
building an even better browser.

On the other hand, there are people who have spent a long time doing
standards work (and some who have even created actual standards as opposed
to forgotten or never-used specs), and some of those do effectively
communicate their ideas about how to work successfully at this.

> I'd also like some cues on what to do, for example, when to read and
> comment on particular sections of the spec. Hopefully in a timely
> manner that suits the editors, so we are then able to see and
> participate in the review/action resulting from that feedback soon
> after. That would help with feeling reviewing the spec was a useful
> contribution. It's useful (for yourself) reviewing the spec just to
> get familiar, but I can't say I feel it is useful to the WG at this
> point.

Agreed. One of the useful things about Anne's "differences" document is
that a lot of people are familiar with HTML 4 (it has been around for a
decade after all), so it gives some guidance.

The more we the group know about what the current area of focus are, the
easier it is for us to focus our ideas largely on that, which I think is
to the medium and long term benefit of all.

cheers

Chaals