Re: SURVEY: Accept requirement for immediate mode graphics a la canvas element?

On Nov 30, 2007, at 19:10, Dr. Olaf Hoffmann wrote:

> And if script or img is not sufficient and canvas is required for
> scripted raster images, it looks a good idea to me to have a
> specific element for vector graphics too, just to hold the semantical
> ballance - well there is a lot more to do in HTML5 to get a
> semantical ballance between things, the authors of the draft
> obviously like and things they do not like/care or are not very
> familar
> with at least.

The element for retained mode vector graphics is called svg (in the
SVG namespace). It isn't currently supported in the text/html
serialization, but it already works in Firefox, Safari and Opera in
the DOM and in the XHTML serialization.

I don't see how a wrapper element on the HTML side would add value to
authors.

There's currently an open issue (in the WHATWG tracker sense) that the
spec isn't yet explicit about the permitted placement of the svg
element. For now, it is best to assume that it will be made conforming
everywhere where img is allowed.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi