Re: User Testing of Accessiblity Features

Olivier GENDRIN wrote:
>>> And my colleague Léonie would argue that if the image conveys something (even "just" emotive), then she would like to know it's there and what it is supposed to represent.
>>>
>>> That demonstrates the hard-core usability vs holistic experience divide quite nicely.[...]

> So it leads directly to have alt even on CSS background images,
> because of emotion...

This is interesting. Alastair mentions his colleague Leonie who would
prefer to have some description of an image - even if a sighted person
would perceive it as eye candy - and Olivier brings up the point "where
do you draw the line"? I know several blind friends and colleagues who
really would not care if they did not get a description of a decorative
image or feel they were missing anything if the full emotional nuance of
a design was not imparted to them. They are by and large only interested
in accessing content or performing a task. So the issue is rather moot
and context dependent.

However, facilitating all of these points of view and requirements
within the remit of the specification is the challenge.

Josh