Re: Investigating the proposed alt attribute recommendations in HTML 5

On Aug 29, 2007, at 11:48 AM, Steven Faulkner wrote:

> If the developers of flickr.com or Photobucket were to implement the
> recommendations regarding the omission of the alt attribute within
> the current HTML 5 draft what are the potential effects upon the
> accessibility of the sites for users of assistive technology such as
> screen readers?
>
> Investigating the proposed alt attribute recommendations in HTML 5 - http://www.paciellogroup.com/resources/articles/altinhtml5.html

It looks like the flickr page you tested is a search, which doesn't
include the title or caption. What about a page like this (I found it
from the example you used), where the titles are included, and are
duplicated by the alt text:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11994078@N04/

Based on what you said about JAWS, it sounds like alt="" might give
the best results in that version of JAWS.

Regards,
Maciej