Re: Multilanguage alt/title

Hi Olivier,

On Aug 28, 2007, at 9:55 AM, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

> At 10:21 +0200 UTC, on 2007-08-28, Olivier GENDRIN wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> How could we indicate (to page readers) the language of a part of a
>> title or alt ?
>
> Note that for @alt at least, the proposed alt element would solve
> that:
> <http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/ABetterAlt>.

Also the type of proposal made by Ben Boyle[2] and me[1] for handling
definitions and abbreviations solves it for the exact use case you
mention. Both of these proposal, arrived at independently, suggest
making the DFN element the place to define an ABBR element's
expansion either once for the whole document or once for a particular
scope in the document (e.g., a section or article). In doing do,
authors could include other markup in different languages and even
control whether the DFN element was visible by default or only
through discovery from the ABBR element. This would leave the title
attribute for its primary intended role as advisory information only.
For that purpose there should be little need for applying a separate
language from the element itself (at least that I can think of).

Take care,
Rob

[2]: <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jul/0987.html>
[2]: <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jul/1287.html>