Re: [HDP] Support World Languages

Hi Sander,

On Aug 22, 2007, at 3:29 PM, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

>> 11. Support World Languages
>
> As I commented in the survey: I don't understand what " Features to
> represent
> a single web page in multiple languages are out of scope." means.
> Aren't
> @lang and @dir such features?
>
> Can someone help me understand?

My reading of this sentence is that we are not trying to address the
problem of multiple alternate content expressing the same meaning in
different languages. The @lang and @dir attributes address the
problem of including content from different languages in the same
document. While that could also be combined with alternate/equivalent/
fallback mechanisms, that is not currently the common practice which
is instead to separate those alternates into different documents with
hyperlinks or HTTP content-negotiation handling the different content
delivery.

Perhaps some rewording could make that clearer. Or perhaps we
shouldn't be using design principles to rule things out of scope.

Take care,
Rob