Re: IE's AND EVERYONE ELSE'S object implementation problems (was RE: Baby Steps or Backwards Steps?)

On 8/22/07, Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com> wrote:
> > For example:
> > <object type="application/x-mplayer2">wmp</object>
> > <object type="application/x-java-applet">java</object>
> > <object type="video/quicktime">quicktime</object>
> > <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash">flash</object>
> > <object type="audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin">realplayer</object>
> > <object type="video/divx">divx</object>
> > <object type="application/x-vlc-plugin">videolan</object>
> > <object type="application/x-xstandard">xstandard</object>
> > <object type="application/x-tcl">tcl</object>
>
> Regarding this list, have you checked on all of these, or are you
> simply compiling a list of plugins to check?

I've checked all of those in Opera, FF and Safari(win32). FF testing
is a little hampered as it freezes when you don't pass java a code
param and it seems to fallback sometimes if @data isn't present. (need
to hunt bugzilla for this)

Safari's default dimensions for plugins seems to be 300 x 150, which
is pretty cool too.

I briefly tested in IE6. Its currentStyle shows "auto" for everything,
but the default size for the plugins that do load are all different,
so ...  However, I didn't test with media in IE and the ActiveX
versions of some of the plug-ins might have been given more love in
this area.

> Just as I think it makes
> sense for the browser to lookup intrinsic dimensions with its
> internal handlers, I also think it would be best practice for certain
> plug-ins to do the same.

Yes, if possible that would be good for plugins to do I think.

--
Michael