Re: IE's AND EVERYONE ELSE'S object implementation problems (was RE: Baby Steps or Backwards Steps?)

On Aug 21, 2007, at 7:19 PM, Michael A. Puls II wrote:

> On 8/21/07, Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com> wrote:

>>> Yes. As in example:
>>>
>>> <object type="application/x-mplayer2" data="image.gif" width="300"
>>> height="300"></object>
>>>
>>> FF2 would load the wmp plugin and have the wmp embed the image,
>>> where
>>> as in FF3 (and Opera), the type is ignored and the server type is
>>> honored.
>>
>> But how do these latest versions work with the example I posted?
>> [1][2]
>
> Works fine except that FF doesn't have default width and height styles
> for plugins, so if you don't specify the dimensions, you can't see
> them.
>
> FWIW, I like how Opera does goes with  a default width and height if
> they're not specified.

No, I don't think Opera or iCab are going with a default width and
height. It looks to me like their extracting the intrinsic dimensions
of the media and using that. That to me is what the behavior should
be for all browsers.

Here's a new version of the pate with height and width set.

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2007Aug/att-0035/
TestObjecttWMeasurments.html>

Now with this extra bit of information, I'm seeing all browsers
handle it appropriately except Safari which doesn't load any of the
audio or video.

Take care,
Rob