content type configuration prototype, usability testing? [was: review ... by IETF/HTTP community]

On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 16:55 +0100, James Graham wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
> > It would be really nice if there'd be a simple way *for us* to get a
> > feeling how big of a problem this is in practice. So I'd really like to
> > have a browser that allows me to opt-out of sniffing, or that minimally
> > informs me about these kinds of problems.
>
> It seems like this wouldn't be too hard to gauge by implementing the algorithm
> as specced as spidering the web for documents labeled as text/plain and looking
> for the fraction that are not sniffed as text/plain by the algorithm.

OK... so... we have a list of people who indicated interest
in "web browser maintenance (esp. fixing bugs around spec compliance)".

Perhaps one of them would like to build a prototype for Julian and
others to try out?

"web browser maintenance (esp. fixing bugs around spec compliance)
Jonas Sicking
Chris Veenboer
David Baron
John-Mark Bell
Maciej Stachowiak
Matthew Raymond
Szymon Pilkowski
Gregory Rosmaita
David Hyatt
Roman Kitainik
Andrei Polushin
Adam Roben "
 --
http://www.w3.org/2005/08/online_xslt/xslt?xslfile=http%3A%2F%
2Fwww.w3.org%2Fhtml%2Fwg%2Fwhowhat.xsl&xmlfile=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%

> In general I would not expect any mainstream browser to expose an option to turn
> off content sniffing in the UI since it would not be understood by the vast
> majority of users.

Indeed, usability is always a concern. Our list of usability testing
volunteers is even longer; perhaps one of them would like to take
on the task of evaluating a prototype?

"usability testing
     1. Chasen Le Hara
     2. Dylan Smith