Re: Other syntax: part of my review of 8 The HTML syntax

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 05:52:12 +0200, Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com> wrote:
> The other points remain viable. In particular by specifying that XML
> processed HTML5 documents should not throw up error pages when
> encountering an unknown character reference (like &madeupreference;),
> the current trends among implementations is to treat that as a fatal
> error and therefore needless breaks many web pages. If we could address
> that it would be a big deal.

It seems out of scope for the HTML WG to define how to parse XML. (The
point where you know you deal with HTML is typically after the parser
level when elements are inserted into the tree at which point you can not
deal with well-formedness problems the parser might throw up, etc.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>