Re: A better longdesc

Peter Krantz wrote:
> This looks interesting and solves the problems I outlined in the
> longdesc discussion some time ago: [1]

I like Peters idea. The usual issue of vendor support is one of the main
issue with any new addition to the spec. As long as the current
implementation is supported (but maybe not recommended) along with the
new implementation - at first glance Peters idea is pretty solid.

Using the role attribute is used to identify a longdesc
[...]
> Kingdom since the Act of Union of 1807, which created the modern
> political entity known as the United Kingdom, which, this year,
> celebrates its 200th anniversary.</p>
>   <ul>
>       <li>[Whatever]...</li>
>   </ul>

This embeds the longdesc data in the current page. This limits the HTTP
request overload and the potential for failure of UA's to correctly
parse or retrieve the data due to broken/orphaned links. However it
would mean a certain degree of content bloat depending on the number of
issues that needed a large degree of longdesc data (rather like
Gregories' examples [2].

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jun/1057.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jun/0640.html