Re: Dropping <input usemap="">

On 16 Aug 2007, at 13:05, Robert Burns wrote:

>>> I see I was wrong there, again based on what Lachlan had said. It
>>> does work in FireFox and Opera as the HTML 4.01 recommendation
>>> specifies.  And that means that it works when @href is not set on
>>> the |area| elements (its not just those area not covered by |
>>> area|). That is the feature we're discussing here. It cannot be
>>> done without the @usemap attribute.
>>
>> In Firefox/Opera, when you have an <area> with no href, clicking
>> on that area does nothing at all (unlike when you click on
>> somewhere not covered by any <area>).
>
> Well, that's an implementation problem.

Is it? It does what is required in the current spec. What is the
problem with the implementation issue? Is it due to your use case
that has never been given to the developers? Firefox/Opera do what
I'd expect them to under the current spec. The fact that this
"feature" causes real world sites to break is nothing but a reason to
exclude it. If it had valid use cases, surely someone pushing the
limits of HTML4 would've used it as such by now?

- Geoffrey Sneddon