Re: [admin] W3C Wiki migration

Hi, Philip, et al-

Philip Taylor (Webmaster) wrote (on 8/13/2007 10:35 AM):

> I can see no objections for new Wikis to be created using Mediawiki
> (if those sufficiently familiar with Wikis believe that Mediawiki
> is currently the best available : I am completely infamiliar with
> them, so not in a position to offer an opinion), but I can see
> no benefit whatsoever in converting existing W3C Wikis if all
> information (such as user accounts, modification histories, etc)
> cannot automatically be carried across.  Thus I am /opposed/
> to the HTML 5 Wiki being so converted unless and until there
> can be a guarantee that all information can and will be
> automatically carried across.

I don't know about the MoinMoin wiki, but I do know that MediaWiki
allows you to export the history of an article.  I'm assuming that
MoinMoin does not allow export of revision history (otherwise there
would be no controversy), or does not make it easy to do.

So, something to consider is that, should a *future* migration (or
relocation) of the wiki take place, MediaWiki might be a better choice
in terms of preservation of revision history.  And it would be better to
start using it earlier rather than later... if MoinMoin locks up the
revision history, the more data is changed in it, the less portable it
becomes.

I would also like to see a better wiki choice than MediaWiki, but having
researched several (for the SVG WG), I didn't come away with any
brilliant choices.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Staff Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI