Re: 9. WYSIWYG editor (enforcing the signature)

Le 6 août 2007 à 18:06, Mihai Sucan a écrit :
> You cannot trust any claims. But ... if anything like this gets in
> the spec, then many/some people who are not experienced enough
> *will* in fact trust such claims, and they'll make decisions based
> on such claims, in their sites, in their tools, parsers, etc.
>
> I do not recommend adding anything like this into the spec.

:) It is already in the spec.
In the same way it is why the debate on versioning is almost moot,
because if the author wants versioning, they can already do it.

We will not be able to forbid a part of this group or a group of Web
pro outside of this group with enough momentum to define guidelines
for Web professionals. I would go even further, they could even make
it a W3C recommendation if it's what they require. The same way,
desktop browsers  have decided to restart the work on HTML 5.

Le 6 août 2007 à 17:40, Sander Tekelenburg a écrit :

>> html5-bp = HTML 5 Best Practices. It would acknowledge a set of rules
>> defined by the Web community and considered as "good HTML".
>
> What is the problem that is being solved here?

First, I don't believe having a metaname for wysiwyg editor is
solving anything at all. Saying that only wysiwyg editors need/put
font tag is ignoring the fact that document move from one tool to the
other. A document is not edited by one tool, but can be edited by
multiple type of tools at different times.

> Obviously I recognise a use for easy identification of quality.

This is a shorcut, I have not made in the proposal. :)
is not for assessing the quality of the document. That would not be
very effective and easily spoofed.

Certification is not a technical solution, it is a legal agreement
between different parties. The content of the certification contract
can be anything as long as the parties have agreed on the terms of
the contract.

> But I don't see how a mere
> string claiming quality, or lack thereof, could ever be useful --
> it would be
> easy to be spoofed.

As I said it was not a claim of quality. It is a string to explicit
declare the intent of the author.  Let me give you a scenario.

Tom and Paul are working in a Web design agency. They are working on
shared documents with quite strict rules. They have decided to follow
the "HTML 5 Best Practices" rules. It's their pride to give their
customers, well tailored documents and consider it is a mark of their
professionalism.
When they are working on document, they might consider at a point
that a document is ready and conformant to html5-bp. They put the tag.
	It helps them to know the status of the work,
	it helps them to say to a conformance checker that they consider
their document ready.
	They can even establish *by contract* with their client that they
have respected this rule when the HTML carry this tag.

It is basically what the W3C validator does this day with the icon.

> Or to apply it to your idea of a HTML WG "best practices"
> document:<link
> rel="quality" href="http://w3.org/certificates/bp/id" title="W3C Best
> Practices certified">. (In which case W3C would have to bother to do
> certification.)

Nope. W3C could, but doesn't have to do certification. As I said a
certification service can be launched by anyone. A certification
service is exactly like a browser. It is a product which uses all or
parts of a technology.

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***