Re: Distributed Extensibility

On Aug 4, 2007, at 18:11, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> I'm still not sure if the proposal is about non-browser consuming
>> software in private systems only or also about browser consumers
>> on the public Web.
>
> Also.

Thanks.

> You are asking these questions in the context of a mailing list.
> This mailing list is predicated on the assumption that an alternate
> syntax than XML is worth pursuing.

This mailing list is predicated on the assumption that text/html is
worth improving as a means of delivering content to Web browsers. The
founding materials of this WG seem to make a specific effort to sooth
XML stake holders that we aren't stepping on the toes of XML in other
contexts. Moreover, individual participants seem to hold a whole
spectrum of opinions on the relationship of HTML and XML. I don't
think the context of this mailing list is sufficient to determine
where you are on the XML vs. text/html opinion spectrum.

> I'm proposing that given this input:
>
>   <o:p><![CDATA[x]]></o:p>
>
> HTML5 would treat that as:
>
>   <o:p>x/o:p>

Thanks.

On the face of it, it seems to me that making <![CDATA[x]]> mean
different things depending on whether the parent element name has a
colon in it would confuse the ViewSourceClan (although I can
appreciate the suggestion as a fallback hack).

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi