Re: Distributed Extensibility

Robert Burns wrote:

> Regarding your proposal:

Answering the below in the context of the proposal.  Note that I only
see the first two as "core", everything else merely reflects one
potential approach amoungst many.

> • is it about adding some kind of namespace support to HTML?

yes.

> • is it to add well-known namespaces or any arbitrary namespace?

arbitrary

> • does it use the XML namespace declaration approach (mapping a URI to a
> prefix)?

yes

> • does it just use prefixes scoped locally to a document (with
> well-known ones reserved)?

yes (with nothing reserved)

> • is it related to the handling of namespaces in IE?
> • is it related to the handling of namespaces in Opera?
> • is it related to the handling of namespaces in Firefox (like its
> hard-wired support for @role)?

It is meant to only relate to the handling of namespaces in the W3C DOM,
and to ensure that documents that make use of HTML5 namespaces don't
cause significant problems with legacy user agents.

> • how does the discussion of CDATA sections relate?

Part of making sure that documents that make use of HTML5 namespaces
don't cause significant problems with legacy user agents is determining
how text is to be handled.  See my previous post for a concrete example.

- Sam Ruby