Re: Conformance checkers

On Aug 2, 2007, at 07:16, Karl Dubost wrote:

> A third possibility is to make a list of all conformance statements
> that a conformance checker has to check. It has the benefit to
> create an easy to read, process list for implementers of such tools
> and to guarantee uniformity across tools.

That would have a non-trivial opportunity cost considering what else
the editors could be doing. As a conformance checker implementor
myself, I wouldn't want to tarpit the editors by tasking them with
creating alternative views to the spec.

> plus there are sections of the spec with MUST requirements, which
> are difficult to implement for a conformance checker.
>
>     Some of the algorithms in this specification, for
>     historical reasons, require the user agent to pause
>     until some condition has been met. While a user agent
>     is paused, it must ensure that no scripts execute
>     (e.g. no event handlers, no timers, etc). User agents
>     should remain responsive to user input while paused,
>     however.

Conformance checkers are exempt from executing scripts.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi