Re: XML versions

On Aug 1, 2007, at 15:37, Jirka Kosek wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>
>>> I think that spec should say something like
>>>
>>> "Implementations that support XHTML5 must support version 1.0 or
>>> later
>>> of XML,..."
>>
>> To me, that means exactly the same as "some version" considering that
>> 1.0 is the first version of XML.
>
> Well, but some people could treat "some version" as backdoor for
> supporting only custom XML variants/subsets, for example subset
> defined
> by SOAP. From this viewpoint it is much safer to say that at least 1.0
> have to be supported.

The same argumentation of not trying to fight XML 1.1 (even though
using XML 1.1 on the Web is a really bad idea) generalizes to not
fighting SOAP. :-/ People will use the vocabulary with SOAP, XML 1.1,
EXI, etc. anyway. If someone wants to transfer XHTML5 infosets over
SOAP, why should the spec insist on pure XML 1.0 support also being
present?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi