Re: Formal definition of HTML5 (was Re: Version information)

On Apr 13, 2007, at 12:41, Henrik Dvergsdal wrote:

> On 13. apr. 2007, at 11.05, Ian Hickson wrote:
>
>>> How will the HTML5 language be formally defined?
>>
>> It's currently formally defined using English prose.
>
> But there will eventually be a formal language definition right? I
> mean - you cannot validate documents against english prose.

You can write software that checks for the requirements given in the
English prose.

> Sivonens validation service mentions a "prerelease schema".

The schema (RELAX NG and Schematron) is an implementation detail. It
has no normative standing whatsoever (and, in my opinion, should not
have). Moreover, the schema *cannot* cover all (X)HTML5 conformance
requirements. Those requirements that it cannot cover, must be dealt
with using a Turing-complete language. In fact, it would be perfectly
permissible to implement a conformance checker 100% in a Turing-
complete language without any schema at all. (But that would be more
tedious than using schemas for the parts that schemas are suitable for.)

You can obtain a copy of the prerelease schema via anonymous CVS:
cvs -d :pserver:html5-readonly@cvsdude.org:/cvs/stdx login # password
anonymous
cvs -d :pserver:html5-readonly@cvsdude.org:/cvs/stdx co syntax

--