Re: disposition of ISSUE 30 cited in bug 10967 insufficient

On 11/30/2010 04:59 PM, Laura Carlson wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>
>> I believe that Laura is collecting this information.
>
> Yes.
>
>> The advice that
>> both I and Maciej gave in September on this topic is still relevant today:
>
> Thank you.
>
> You also said previously:
> "My suggestion on the way forward is to start with a single step.
> Such as a widespread implementation.  I've heard second hand that
> Oracle is such a user." [1]
>
> Longdesc is used throughout Oracle's documentation [2].
>
> Your further advice:
>
> "My recommendation: take your time.  Build your case.  Most of all, do
>   not assume that you will get multiple opportunities to do this." [3]
>
> I have been gathering documentation [4]. It is just a matter of if it
> will be productive to try to reopen ISSUE-30 or more efficient go
> straight to a Formal Objection. Your advice?

It's kinda odd that you are asking me that question as it is unlikely
that I will ever recommend a Formal Objection.  I'll tell you why.

My position is that the decision was based on evaluating the following
proposal:

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/longdesc

Coupled with the following objections:

http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/issue-30-objection-poll/results

It remains my position that the decision was the only correct one based
on the information provided.  If you believe that be incorrect, then you
are welcome to pursue a Formal Objection.

Alternately the process by which we solicit Change Proposals and
objections is documented and was established based on the consensus of
the working group.  If you believe that the process itself is flawed,
you can object to that too, but I will state that that seems less likely
to succeed than an objection to the decision itself.

Meanwhile, you appear to have evidence that was not contained in either
the Change Proposal nor the objections.  I do not recommend that you
proceed directly with that information directly to the Director.  My
advice is that that information, when it is deemed to be complete, be
presented to the HTML WG on public-html.

Just to be clear: do not take anything I have said as an indication that
a Formal Objection is not an option.  You are welcome to pursue that
option at any time.  My only recommendation -- and it is only a
recommendation -- is that any information that is included in the Formal
Objection be content that is evaluated by the WG first.

> Thanks.
>
> Best Regards,
> Laura

- Sam Ruby