Re: Proof of growth of acceptance/implementation - longdesc

On 09/21/2010 04:57 PM, Laura Carlson wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> John wrote:
>> I submit the following: http://wordpress.mfields.org/2010/how-to-enable-longdesc-attributes-on-images-in-wordpress/
>
> Thanks. John. Michael Fields' longdesc Wordpress plugin (zip file) can
> be can be downloaded from:
> http://download.mfields.org/longdesc-1.0.zip
>
> I added a  tools section [1] to the longdesc study [2] yesterday and
> included Michael's plugin.
>
> Quite a few new long description examples in the wild have recently
> been collected [3]. These examples are new information that were not
> presented prior to the decision to drop longdesc from HTML5.
>
> Sam, Paul and Maciej, what more do we need to gather or what else do
> we need to do for the Chairs to reconsider your decision for Issue 30?
> Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Without consulting with other co-chairs, the same day announcement of a
plugin (and therefore with effectively zero deployment to date) is
unlikely to change anybody's mind.

While that is clearly new information, a list of sites that merely "was
not presented prior to the decision" is borderline at best.  Issue 30
was raised in 2008 was discussed well before that.  After 2.5+ years,
the decision was based primarily on:

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/longdesc
http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/issue-30-objection-poll/results
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Apr/1089.html

If you do feel you want to include such a list of sites, be prepared to
explain why they were not included in the above.

My recommendation: take your time.  Build your case.  Most of all, do
not assume that you will get multiple opportunities to do this.  The
intent of a decision is to get the working group to move on.