Re: Fulfilling charter: Stanard Library of Transformations

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 18:04 -0500, Harry Halpin wrote:
> I'm looking through the charter[1] to see how far we are from last call
> and to determine what is in our critical path.
>
> Note that according to our current schedule we should be in Last Call at
> end of Jan. I feel like it will be probably be okay to delay this a bit
> in order to close our issues, but not too much longer.
>
> In particular, I need to know if anyone has created the following
> transformations that are required by our charter:
>
> In particular:
>
> "a standard library of bootstrapping transformations, such as:
>
>      * a transformation that simply copies out any rdf:RDF elements
>      * a transformation for recognizing profileTransformation links for use
> in profile documents"
>
> Do these exist, or is anyone working on them?

Yes, such as they are...
  http://www.w3.org/2003/g/embeddedRDF
  http://www.w3.org/2003/g/glean-profile

Yes... in fact, jjc commented on some extra stuff in
glean-profile just the other day.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-grddl-comments/2007JanMar/0023.html

I added an item in the test TODO list in reply, so there's a placeholder
for a WG decision.

I chose the embeddedRDF name before I knew about Ian Davis's eRDF work.
We could rename it; is anybody willing to do some work in that
direction?

>  If not, we will need to
> assign actions to finish them ASAP.
>
> "with popular XHTML dialects such as the Dublin Core XHTML profile and
> microformats such as hCalendar and hCard"
>
> I thought I saw a DC transform, but when I go to their XHTML profile [2],
> I cannot find a GRDDL transform. We may need to assign an action to create
> one.

I created one and asked them to take it over and install it at [2],
but they haven't, yet. I'm not sure how high to set the bar there.
I'm convinced of the technical feasibility of using GRDDL for
this purpose, but I wonder... should we hold GRDDL in CR until
DC deploys it?

http://www.w3.org/2000/06/dc-extract/dc-extract.xsl
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2005Sep/0001.html

> I feel like we already have fairly stable hCard and hCalendar tranforms,
> although we face a struggle re profile URIs.

What sort of struggle do you mean? Again, I've worked thru as many
technical details as I can see...
 http://www.w3.org/2006/03/hcard

... though some social/trust issues remain.
  http://microformats.org/wiki/profile-uris

Oh... I guess some microformats-mixing issue remain, but those
aren't really GRDDL issues.