Re: W3C GLD WG Thur 15-May-2013 Meeting Agenda

Hi,
I send regrets as we're participating Thursday morning in the US Data Demo Day with the Data Transparency Coalition.[1]    I'll be highlighting the importance Web standards for discovery, access and re-use of electronic data with Congressional staffers & members.  We'll be demo'ing how persistent identifiers are currently used by government to reliably deliver electronic resources that are deemed essential to our democracy, including the Federal Budget.

"More
 than
20
technology
companies,
 from
 sector
leaders
like
Microsoft,
Google,
 and
Coalition
 member

Teradata
ambitious
start‐ups
like
Poplicus,
 will
give
live
 presentations
demonstrating
how
 the
DATA
 Act

would
allow
their
innovative
data
 search,
publication,
 and
 analysis
tools
“open
Big
Government
Big

Data.”
 The
DATA
 Act
would
 require
the
federal
government
 adopt
common
electronic
identifiers
for

grantees
and
contractors
receiving
federal
funds,
allowing
government‐wide
waste
and
fraud
detection
in

federal
assistance
and
procurement."

May I ask the following two agenda items be covered in Thursday's call:

1)  It would be VERY helpful if you can prepare for Thursday's meeting by reviewing the Linked Data Glossary [2] and confirm the chairs recommendation to publish under the shortname http://www.w3.org/TR/ld-glossary/ by next Tuesday 21-May.  This shortname has previously been approved by W3C management.

FYR - There is a lot of discussion happening on GitHub around Project Open Data. [3]  Ideally, we can add the Linked Data Glossary to that repository to widen the discussion which currently appears dismissive of LD and casts it as too hard and/or not adopted.

2)  Also, please make a point to go to http://dir.w3.org and create a dir.ttl file and host it on a publicly accessible Web server that you control.  A FAQ is available.[4]

Upon quick review today, there are 23 organizations currently listed and only 10 are members of the GLD WG.  We're hard pressed to promote a LD approach if less than 30% of *this* working group's organizations (total of 37 organizations represented by this WG) have put an entry in the W3C Directory.

By adding your organization to the W3C Directory  your organization attracts better search results, as well as more exposure.  Marketing matters.   Further, it's a clean, simple demonstrator project for LD.

If you are experiencing any difficulties creating an entry, please email me & I'll ensure your concerns are addressed immediately.

3) I'll coordinate with other editors of BP doc to update the timetable for review & delivery.  (Yes, I feel huge pressure to get this done asap.)

TIA.

Cheers,

Bernadette Hyland, co-chair
W3C Government Linked Data Working Group
Charter: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/

[1] http://datacoalition.com/content/files/data-demo-day-advisory-final.pdf

[2] https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/gld/raw-file/default/glossary/index.html

[3] https://github.com/project-open-data/project-open-data.github.io/blob/master/glossary.md