Re: Representation of Compound Mapping in SKOS

In support of Christine's suggestion I'd point out that the issue has
been aired at several events in the past year, e.g. the Cologne
Conference  on Interoperability and Semantics in Knowledge Organization
  (http://linux2.fbi.fh-koeln.de/cisko2010/presentations.html) and the
NKOS workshop in Glasgow
(http://www.comp.glam.ac.uk/pages/research/hypermedia/nkos/nkos2010/programme.html),
where I gave a presentation on the Types of mapping recommended in ISO
25964.

There seems no doubt that for applications in which good quality
mappings are needed from one thesaurus to another, there is a demand for
compound equivalence mappings. ISO 25964 includes recommendations for
the development and use of such mappings. And in another reply to this
posting, Johan de Smedt presents some ideas for a schema to use.

At both the above conferences it was pointed out that an extension to
SKOS would be required. Is there any hope that W3C may soon be able to
support/encourage work on such an extension?

Stella

Stella Dextre Clarke
Information Consultant
Luke House, West Hendred, Wantage, OX12 8RR, UK
Tel: 01235-833-298
Fax: 01235-863-298
stella@lukehouse.org