Re: [dxwg] Provenance information [RPIF]

From: Lars G. Svensson via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 14:24:43 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
@nicholascar It seems that we need to define exactly what we mean by software... I'd say that we need to differentiate between the sequence of commands being executed (aka a _programme_), the execution of that programme (aka a _process_) and any input passed to that process (let's call it _input_).

If we look at the case of a SHACL engine validating a piece of RDF using a SHACL file it seems to me that the execution of the validation is a `prov:Activity` executed by the SHACL engine (_programme_; `prov:SoftwareAgent rdfs:subClassOf prov:Agent` and uses the SHACL file (_input_; `prov:Plan rdfs:subClassOf prov:Entity`). The _process_ is tricky and doesn't always map to PROV-O since the validation can be done by a server process (e. g. a servlet) that's running already and that handles several validations in parallel.

If that's what you mean, I fully agree. And we need a better word than "software".

--
GitHub Notification of comment by larsgsvensson
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/76#issuecomment-393182048 using your GitHub account