From: Laufer [mailto:laufer@globo.com]
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2015 8:43 AM
To: DWBP WG
Subject: Best Practice 2 - Title and the use of the term format

Hi all,

The term format is being used in the text in different contexts and can confuse the reader.
The title of Best Practice 2 is: "Provide metadata in different formats"

Then we have a kind of subtitle: "Metadata should be provided for both humans and machines"
So the formats are (I guess): human-readable; machine-readable.

In the text of BP2 we have: "Metadata for machines is best provided either as an alternative representation of the Web page in a format such as Turtle or JSON-LD (for RDF)...."
We have also file formats: XML, CSV, JSON...
Maybe we have to qualify the term format when we use it. So, Turtle is a serialization format, CSV is a file format, etc.

====
I propose a more straight title to BP2: "Provide metadata for both humans and machines"
What do you think about this?
Best,
Laufer

--

CONFIDENTIALITY / DISCLAIMER: The contents of this e-mail are  confidential and are not to be regarded as a contractual offer or acceptance from GS1 (registered in Belgium).
If you are not the addressee, or if this has been copied or sent to you in error, you must not use data herein for any purpose, you must delete it, and should inform the sender.
GS1 disclaims liability for accuracy or completeness, and opinions expressed are those of the author alone.
GS1 may monitor communications.
Third party rights acknowledged.
(c) 2012.
</a>