Re: ISSUE-61: R-archiving appears to be out of scope. we must ask christophe, who put it in

Hi all,

while I agree that we shouldn't recommend on a particular format for data
dumps, there are benefits in recomending an archive format that allows for
storing data files (in any format) and also metadata along with the data.
Preserving metadata alongside the data is very important for digital
preservation. I know of two competing formats that could be useful for that
purpose:

BagIt
* IETF draft specification: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kunze-bagit
* Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BagIt
* Blog article about it: http://inkdroid.org/journal/2008/06/06/bagit/

Data package
* Draft specification: http://dataprotocols.org/data-packages/
* Blog article about it:
http://blog.okfn.org/2013/04/24/frictionless-data-making-it-radically-easier-to-get-stuff-done-with-data/

Even though they are similar in technical implementation, BagIt is more
focused on digital preservation and more widely used among digital library
practitioners (including, for example, the Library of Congess). On the
other hand, Data package aims at making open data easier to manipulate (the
so-called "frictioness data") and is more used by open data practitioners
(including, for example, the Open Knowledge Foundation).

Best regards,
Augusto Herrmann