Re: A doubt on service provision shades

Hi Piero, All.
We discussed this topic briefly in today's meeting (minutes -
https://www.w3.org/2022/10/26-dpvcg-minutes.html). In summary, we will
be looking and improving the descriptions of purpose terms to make them
clear and distinct to avoid such confusion.

For the specific example:

1) RequestedServiceProvision vs SellProductsToDataSubject: If the
purpose relates to selling something to the data subject, i.e. the sale
is yet to happen, then the purpose should be SellProductsToDataSubject.
If instead there is a contract in place to provide some service, even if
it is based on charging money, it cannot be considered a 'sale of
product', but instead is a service based on contract/agreement.
Therefore, it should use RequestedServiceProvision. AFAIK this argument
is consistent with which legal basis should be used with each purpose.

2) OptimisationForConsumer vs ServicePersonalisation: In this case, the
terms Optimsation and Personalisation have differing distinct meaning,
and they can overlap in certain cases. Optimisation is to improve
something for efficiency. For example, loading smaller images for a slow
internet connection. Personalisation is to customise something based on
the person or persona (i.e user). For example, setting language based on
locale. Something can be done for both personalisation and optimisation,
for example - showing the unfinished last episode after logging into
Netflix with a resolution based on internet or TV screen size.

The goal is to offer better descriptions and criteria (as above) in the
specification so that an adopter can look for the 'most suitable'
concept. However, purposes are known to be confusing in real world as
well - so the practical aim is to reduce the confusion and offer clarity
as much as possible. If one goes shopping for concepts, chances are that
several of them will seem applicable - this is quite common in use-cases.

IMHO our advice should be to select the 'main' or 'primary' purpose
first and see if it is sufficient to describe what is happening. And
that the descriptions we will update will have sufficient clarity and
information to help with this. Adding examples and use-cases should also
help.

Regards,
Harsh

On 26/10/2022 11:47, Piero Bonatti wrote:
> by the way, a similar issue occurs in choosing between
> "OptimisationForConsumer" and "ServicePersonalization"
>
> On 26/10/22 10:11, Piero Bonatti wrote:
>> Dear Harsh and all,
>>
>> while writing the privacy policies for TRAPEZE's pilots I stumbled
>> into a case where telling which is the right purpose to use is not
>> obvious.
>>
>> The use case is related to banking. A bank maintains bank accounts,
>> executes payments, and manages portfolios.  These activities look like
>> services, but at the same time the bank regards account provision and
>> portfolio management as different products that are sold to its
>> customers.
>>
>> So which purpose should be used for this kind of data processing,
>> SellProducts or RequestedServiceProvision?  In the above use case the
>> two terms overlap and there are no clear guidelines to tell which of
>> them should be used.
>>
>> By the way, this situation introduces a delicate issue for TRAPEZE.
>> Unclear semantics may jeopardize two of TRAPEZE's paramount goals,
>> that is:
>> - ease of use;
>> - interoperability (as different stakeholders may use different terms
>> for a same purpose).
>>
>> A possible way to mitigate this issue is to enrich the documentation
>> with further explanations based on the motivations for introducing
>> different terms for similar concepts.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Piero

Harshvardhan J. Pandit, Ph.D