Re: dependencies in tests

Le 2015-06-17 02:41, Florian Rivoal a écrit :
>> If the user agent does not support vertical writing-mode, then the
>> test must fail.
>
> Why? I am writing a test for the css3-ui test suite. css3-ui has a
> provision for what to do if vertical text is supported (which is what
> I am trying to test), but it does not require vertical text to be
> supported.

css3-ui does not require vertical text to be supported: that's correct.

But then...

For 'cursor: text', "User agents may automatically display a horizontal
I-beam/cursor (e.g. same as the vertical-text keyword) for vertical
text"

http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-css3-ui-20150519/#cursor

How do you define 'vertical text' in that sentence?

How is it possible to have vertical text while, at the same time, not
being able to support vertical 'writing-mode'?

Isn't 'vertical text' in that sentence implicitly assuming that a
vertical writing-mode has to be supported?

> Not supporting vertical text should not affect conformance with
> css3-ui

Agreed.

> , which is what my test is trying to assess.
>
>> If the user agent supports vertical writing-mode but does not support
>> a vertical text cursor, then the test must fail.
>
> Sure.
>
>> It will be up to the manufacturer of such user agent or rendering
>> engine to establish or to untangle the reason of the test failure by
>> their user agent or rendering engine.
>
> I don't think it is helpful to make a UA fail the test suite of
> css3-ui because they don't support something that is not required by
> css3-ui.
>
>  - Florian

That's why there is a "may" in that sentence. Failing that test will not
make the UA fail the required tests for conformance to css3-ui. My
understanding.

Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates